If you feel the need to detox your body from heavy metals, a great starting point would be to make this heavy metal detox smoothie recipe.
It contains natural ingredients that can help flush out heavy metals from your system.Print
- 1 cup of wild blueberries (or organic blueberries)
- 5–6 leaves of cilantro (washed)
- 1/2 cup of ice cold water
- 1 tbsp of freshly minced ginger
- 1/3 cup of yogurt with live cultures
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1/4 tsp of matcha green tea powder
- Measure and prepare your ingredients as instructed.
- Grab a blender or a Nutribullet, and add the frozen blueberries first to the blender.
- Add all the other ingredients prepared, and blend for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!
The smoothie is best consumed as soon as it’s blended.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Smoothie
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 smoothie
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 12g
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
What Makes This Smoothie Heavy Metal Detoxing?
With that knowledge, I developed the recipe using the right proportions of ingredients that work in harmony.
The ingredients I chose help with heavy metal detox, here’s how:
- Wild Blueberries:
- Rich in antioxidants, including anthocyanins, which may help combat oxidative stress left behind by heavy metal removal.
- Contains vitamins and minerals that contribute to overall health.
- Contains compounds that may have chelating properties, potentially assisting in the removal of heavy metals from the body. However, more research is needed in this area.
- Freshly Minced Ginger:
- Anti-inflammatory properties and may aid digestion.
- Contains antioxidants.
- Yogurt with Live Cultures:
- Provides probiotics, which are beneficial for gut health, and may protect against poisoning from heavy metals.
- Lemon Juice:
- High in vitamin C, an antioxidant that supports the immune system. Its properties could potentially aid in the elimination of heavy metals.
- Matcha Green Tea Powder:
- Contains antioxidants, including catechins which have been studied to aid in the detoxification of heavy metals in the body.
- May provide a gentle energy boost due to the presence of caffeine.
Ingredient Substitutions And Recipe Variations
When you read the ingredients needed to make this heavy metal detox smoothie, you might find some of the ingredients a bit strange.
For example, you don’t often find cilantro in smoothies.
If you find that some of the ingredients are not to your liking, below are some alternatives you can use that also contain heavy metal detox properties:
- Instead of cilantro leaves, use 1 tsp of spirulina powder. Spirulina powder is well known for its heavy metal detox properties.
- Cannot find wild blueberries? Use organic instead. You must use at least organic berries since berries are on the dirty dozen list.
- Swap the ginger root for 1/3 tsp of ginger powder.
- If you are vegan, use a vegan yogurt alternative, preferably with live cultures in it.
- To sweeten the smoothie healthily, add one small ripe banana to your smoothie.
- If you don’t have matcha powder at home, add another source of antioxidants, such as another type of berry, figs, pears, or mango. 1/4 cup should be plenty.
I have tested all of these variations, and they all came out delicious. But these are all optional.
Questions And Answers From My Smoothie Community
I shared this recipe on my YouTube channel first, and it sparked a lot of interest from my community there.
Some popular questions regarding the recipe included:
How Often Should You Drink This Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie?
I recommend that you drink this smoothie recipe once every day for 3 days. I personally followed this schedule. Preferably drink this smoothie in the morning, for best results.
Can I Expect To Lose Weight With This Smoothie?
This smoothie is low in calories compared to other drinks or smoothies. Combined with a calorie deficit, and healthy food choices, you could possibly lose weight. However, weight-loss isn't the primary benefit of this drink.
Will The Smoothie Flush Out All Heavy Metals?
This smoothie doesn't guarantees it will flush out heavy metals. It simply contains an array of ingredients that may posses properties that can help flush out heavy metals. Always consult with a doctor.