This might sound strange, to be able to blend without a blender. Impossible… Right? Wrong! You can blend without a blender, all you need is a dose of creativity and a bit more time on your hands!
Having a blender is extremely useful, convenient, and efficient. They are very versatile, but also expensive and need electricity. If you have a blender and perhaps it has broken and you need to save up to get a new one that is decent, perhaps you just do not have one on hand but you still need to get something blended.
You might need to blend something and then realize you do not have a blender on hand. What do you do? Scrap the recipe? HELL NO!
If you are in this awkward position, do not fret, we have got you covered. You needn’t panic, help is on the way.
Let’s find out exactly how you can blend, without a blender!
How Do You Blend Without A Blender?
In order to blend without actually having a blender you need to be a bit more creative and how you do this will depend entirely on what you are actually attempting to blend.
If you would usually use a blender for your recipe, then you probably want your ingredients to be smooth with a texture that is consistent, with all of your ingredients incorporated totally.
To achieve this with no blender, you can turn to a variety of different kitchen tools, which we will look at below.
Useful Kitchen Tools:
Which tools might you have in your kitchen that can take the place of a blender?
Here are some options!
- Food Processor (Although, this might be considered cheating!).
- Hand mixers.
- Mortar & Pestle.
- Rolling Pin.
- Shaker cup/ jar with lid.
However, you do not use all of these tools in the same way, and different tools will need to be used differently to blend in each different way.
Let us take a look at how you can use some of these kitchen tools to blend foods when you are without a blender.
Making Smoothies Without A Blender
In order to make yourself a smoothie when you do not have a blender you need to do some thinking first. Think about the ingredients you intend on having in your smoothie.
The smoothie recipes that include grains, leafy greens, ice, grains, or frozen fruit won’t be easy to make if you do not have a blender.
However, if you have softer ingredients, you may be able to make a smoothie much easier. Let’s look at some top tips that will help you consider what kind of smoothie you can make when your blender is out of order.
- Choose to use vegetables and fruits that are soft for more success.
- Creamy ingredients such as avocado, yogurt, and bananas are best.
- Before you ‘blend’, peel any foods that have tough skins.
- Avoid grainy ingredients, or ingredients with unpleasant textures, such as kale or oats, as these often need a long blend, even when you have a super blender, without one it’ll be even harder.
- Focus on ingredients that are powdery or more easily mixed. Think of using cocoa powder in place of chocolate chips for example.
- If you intend on using frozen fruits, remember to thaw them first.
- Consider lightly cooking your ingredients first to help soften them and make them easier to ‘blend’.
- Choose to avoid any ingredients you do not fancy eating chunks of! (Hopefully, that won’t be the case, but… It is best to be wary!).
Now, if you want to make a smoothie but you do not have a blender, you can go about it in a few ways, but this is the way we select as being the best way to do it!
- Start your alternative blend off with any hard or solid ingredients, this would include seeds, fruits, nuts, veg, or thawed frozen fruits. Chop these up with a knife as fine as you possibly can, or even crush them with a mortar and pestle or a rolling pin. You can also grate them using a hand grater, and peel them. Use whichever method you find to be best for the ingredient.
- Next, pick your soft ingredients, this can include bananas, peaches, leafy green, and avocados. Chop them with your knife, or mash them (more appropriate for soft fruits). You could also mash them up with the back of a spoon. Once you have chopped and mashed these, add them in with your hard ingredients.
- Now, add in any thick or creamy ingredients such as purees or yogurt, and mix them together with a whisk, fork, or even a hand mixer. You can use whichever utensil seems to be the most appropriate for this.
- Now add your liquids in and blend all of your ingredients together using whichever mixing tool you have chosen to do so.
- Strain your mixture using a sieve, push it through and get any chunks, seeds, and so on out of the primary mix for a blend as smooth as it can be.
- For extra measure put it into a jar with a lid and give it a good old shake!
Is It Possible To Make A Smoothie In A Food Processor?
When you don’t have a blender on hand but you do have a food processor available, you could use this. These two things are actually really similar and in many cases, a food processor can pack more of a punch than a blender! So, you can definitely do this.
You could use a food processor to blend and chop the ingredients in a smoothie, even ice, nuts, and frozen fruits! If you choose to do this, the only consideration you will have is the order in which you add your ingredients in.
When blending with a food processor here is how you should do it for the best results!
- Begin with hard and dry ingredients such as seeds or nuts to get a good blend until they are as shredded as can be.
- Then add in frozen fruits or other hard ingredients and repeat.
- Next, add in greens or fruits with rough and rough skins, as you continue to blend, the blend should start to become more liquid as moisture is released.
- Add in other soft ingredients, including fresh fruits, yogurt, or banana. Blend to add them in.
- Last, of all, add liquids to blend these into a single smooth mix.
- Finally, strain through a sieve to ensure your blend is smooth.
Be aware that as you do this you might need to scrape the sides and mix by hand, especially if you are using hard ingredients or leafy greens.
Making A Milkshake When You Don’t Have A Blender
Milkshakes are easier to create when you do not have a blender. They have fewer ingredients than smoothies so are easier overall.
Step-By-Step Making a Milkshake Without a Blender:
- Leave ice cream at room temperature, or put it in the microwave for a few seconds so it will soften. You want it to be easily squashable, but not fluid.
- Now add in some milk and any flavors or ingredients and mix it by stirring it or mashing it with a hand mixer, fork, or spoon.
- You can also pour it into a shaker cup or jar and seal it, then shake it to mix!
- If the mixture is a bit too liquid or warm then you can put it into the freezer for a few minutes to allow it to thicken and chill.
- Finally, add in any toppings and enjoy!
Blending without a blender is much easier than you may think it is, and you can do so using most of the ingredients available to you in your home. However, what you use and how you do it depends on your ingredients.
Check out some of our blender’s smoothie recipes below!
Instructions For Blending Without A Blender
How To Blend Without a Blender
- 1 Sieve
- 1 Food Processor
- 1 Pestle & Mortar
- 1 Masher
- 1 Rolling Pin
- 1 Hand Mixer
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Forks
- 1 Knife
- 1. If you are dealing with vegetables, steam/boil them until very soft, then use a potato masher or a fork to break into them and mash to a puree.
- 2. If you are dealing with fruit, herbs, leafy greens etc, chop them finely or grate them using your knife. If you are working soft fruit, you can use a hand mixer to puree them, or mash them with a fork or a pestle & mortar.
- 3. If you are working with products and ingredients such as yogurt, protein powders, peanut butter, seeds, etc, you can either combine the ingredients together by mixing with a fork or a whisk, or by using a hand mixer.
How Do You Blend Soup Without A Blender?
The best way to blend a soup with no blender is to cook the veg until it is soft and then use a potato mash to turn it into a pulp.
How To Blend Ice Without A Blender?
The best tip to use for this is to fill up a freezer-safe bag or zip-top bag with ice and use a rolling pin to break it up. Smash and roll until you get the consistency you want.
How To Blend Onions Without A Blender?
Chop up your onions as fine as you can and then crush them with a mortar and pestle and push through a sieve with a spoon to puree.
How To Blend Without A Blender Or Food Processor?
The best thing to do is mash up and crush your ingredients as finely as you can, boil/ cook veg and then push your ingredients through a sieve.