Lard Cookies – Cheap And Cheerful recipe that will remind you of your childhood. cookies made with lard are a thing of the past these days. Everyone uses butter or dairy-free alternatives.
But, lard is twice the time cheaper than butter and does the same job as butter. There aren’t many lard cookies recipes, so we thought would make one 😉
Our grandparents used to use lard a LOT, so growing up, there was always lard on the kitchen counter, and most meals were cooked in lard. I don’t really know why/how butter replaced lard, and now barely anyone uses lard these days.
We were shopping the other day and noticed a block of lard, and said to ourselves “Let’s make some lard cookies!”
Things were kept very simple; we basically treated lard the same way we would butter.
We found that the cookies came out a lot crispier. Had we used butter, they wouldn’t have been so crispy. So, if you like crispy cookies, try using lard 😉
How To Make Cookies With Lard:
You will need:
4. Baking Soda + Powder
6. Powdered Sugar (Optional)
The lard and sugar are beaten together until creamy in a bowl or using a kitchen aid. The egg is then folded, and finally the dry ingredients as well. 1 heaped tbsp cookies are scooped from the dough and placed onto a baking sheet and baked.
Once baked, let them cool on that sheet for 5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack.
Then sprinkle some powdered sugar if you like.
That’s it, we hope you enjoy these lard cookies.
More Cookie Recipes:
We hope you like these Lard Cookies – Cheap And Cheerful Recipe! Any thoughts, or things you have tried that work better, feel free to drop us a comment below. We are here to learn, just like you. Also, feel free to check out our socials:
Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram
Have a great day!
Lard Cookies - Cheap And Cheerful
- 140g / 2/3 cup of lard soft at room temp
- 140g /2/3 cup of light brown sugar
- 170g / 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp of caster sugar
- 250g /1 3/4 cups of plain flour
- 1 medium-sized egg
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 360F/180C and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the sugars and lard together until creamy using a bowl or a kitchen aid.
- Add the egg, mix, then fold in the flour, bicarb, baking powder. Mix gently to combine.
- 1 heaped tbsp cookies are scooped from the dough and placed onto the baking sheets. Place 5 each per baking sheet with plenty of space between them. Do not flatten them, they will flatten naturally when they bake.
- Bake in the oven for 11 minutes.
- Let them cool on the sheet for 5-10 minutes before moving them to a wire rack and repeating the process with the rest of the cookies.
Cookies will last in an air-tight container for up to 3 days on the counter.