6 low-sugar smoothie recipes (by smoothie experts) for you to try if you are trying to cut down on sugar.
Most smoothies are often quite high in sugar, but typically that’s from the natural sugars from fruit, not added sugar. This type of sugar isn’t as bad as white sugar.
But, even with fruit sugar, too much can still be harmful.
We worked at smoothie king, and that’s how we found our passion for smoothies. We wanted to share all our smoothie knowledge with recipes suitable for every diet.
So, today we put together 6 of the best low-sugar smoothies we have created.
How Do You Reduce Sugar In Smoothies?
There are several things you could do, to reduce the amount of sugar in your smoothies:
- Use fewer sweet fruits
- Sub milk and fruit juices for plain water
- Use unsweetened versions of products such as nut butter or protein powders
- Instead of banana, use chia seeds or flaxseeds to thicken your smoothies
Are Smoothies With No Added Sugar Healthy?
Generally, smoothies with no added sugar are healthier than smoothies with sugar, even fruit sugar.
However, that doesn’t mean that smoothies with fruit are unhealthy.
Green smoothies are a great example of low-sugar smoothies that are extremely healthy. They tend to be loaded with leafy greens, and little fruit, making them naturally low sugar.
6 Low Sugar Smoothie Recipes (By Smoothie Experts)
We have a big selection of healthy low-sugar smoothies such as low-sugar smoothie recipes for diabetics, no-sugar smoothies for weight loss, low sugar high protein smoothie recipes, & low sugar breakfast smoothies.
There is something for everyone!
1. Sugar-Free Keto Smoothie (1.1g of sugar per serving)
This smoothie is one of the lowest-sugar smoothies ever. What’s really cool about this sugar-free smoothie, is the fact that it still tastes good and refreshing, regardless of the lack of sweetness or sugar
Sugar Free Keto Smoothie
- 1 small avocado /60g peeled stoned diced and frozen
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp/260ml of unsweetened almond milk
- A handfuk/25g of fresh spinach
- Juice of half a lemon
- If you don't have frozen avocado, peel, and stone a fresh one, and pop it in the freezer for an hour.
- Once the avocado is frozen, pop all the ingredients into a blender, and blitz until smooth.
- Serve & Enjoy!
2. Diabetic-Friendly Green Smoothie (12.1g of sugar per serving)
This smoothie has slightly more sugar per serving, but it’s suitable for diabetics and made with diabetic-approved ingredients.
Diabetic-Friendly Green Smoothie
- 1 cup/30g of spinach
- 1/4 avocado flesh scooped out
- 1 medium-sized green apple diced
- 1/2 cucumber diced
- 1 cup/200ml of cold water
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 small handful of celery diced
- Wash the fresh veggies and prepare them as described above.
- Add all ingredients to a blender, and blitz until completely smooth. About 2-3 minutes.
3. Matcha Power Smoothie (4.4g of sugar per serving)
This smoothie is an antioxidant explosion, beautifully green, and full of goodness. It is dairy-free and vegan-friendly.
Matcha Power Detox Smoothie
- Wash the cucumber and apple. Trim the apple. Mince the ginger and wash the spinach.
- Then add all the ingredients onto a blender and blitz untill completely smooth. About 3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
4. Keto Green Smoothie (4.8g of sugar per serving)
This is our top favorite low-sugar smoothie recipe. It’s keto-friendly, tasty, healthy, and just bursting with nutrition.
Preparing and making this smoothie is super easy too, you just have to wash your greens, blend them up, and voila.
Healthy Keto Green Smoothie
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1-2 tsp of freshly minced ginger
- 1 pitted date
- 1 cup/250ml of cold water
- 1/2 lemon - juice only
- 1/2 avocado pitted and flesh scooped out
- All the ingredients are added to a blender once prepared.
- Blitz until smooth and serve!
5. Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie Recipe (8.8g of sugar per serving)
If you are worried that you might have been eating a bit too much fish recently, and have a bit too much heavy metal in your body, you have to try this smoothie.
Oh, if you don’t like cilantro, you will need to skip this smoothie! Only cilantro lovers are welcomed here 😀
Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie Recipe
- 1 Blender
- 5-6 leaves of cilantro washed
- 1 tbsp of freshly minced ginger
- 1 tbsp of plain yogurt with live cultures
- 1/2 cup/75g of wild blueberries or organic blueberries
- 1 lemon - juiced
- 1/4 tsp of matcha green tea powder
- 1/2 cup/125ml of ice cold water
- All the ingredients are added to a blender and blitzed until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!
6. Kale Smoothie (8.8g of sugar per servng)
This smoothie is purely sweetened with 4 dates only. Although this smoothie is low on sugar, it actually has the perfect sweetness. Everything in this smoothie wors well, and can also aid weight loss.
Does a Smoothie Need Sugar?
Most smoothies are created with fruit or even have added syrups like honey or maple syrup.
However, you can certainly make smoothies without or with very little sugar.
Do Homemade Smoothies Have a Lot Of Sugar?
It really depends on how you make your homemade smoothies. The total amount of sugar will very much depend on what you add to your blender.
You can certainly make low-sugar homemade smoothies.
Is a Smoothie a Day Too Much Sugar?
Again, it very much depends on what you add to your smoothies. A smoothie a day, especially homemade smoothies are perfectly good for you, as they provide you with fresh fruit and vegetables and plenty of nutrients.
Does Blending Fruit Release More Sugar?
No, it doesn’t. Fruit will have just as much sugar if eaten whole or blended. The amount doesn’t change.
If a fruit contains 12g of sugar, if you eat it whole, you will get 12g of sugar, if you blend it, you will still get 12g of sugar.
Is Fruit Smoothie Too Much Sugar?
Fruit smoothies without any added syrups or white sugars are absolutely fine. Fruit contains fructose, which is a different type of sugar. Furthermore, fruit contains fiber, which prevents you from having fast sugar highs and crashed as white sugar does.
Smoothies can be made less sweet, but still, be as healthy for you as sweet smoothies. if you are looking at cutting down sugar, even fruit sugar, then you should try these 6 recipes we provided, and we hope you enjoy them!
Also, feel free to check out our socials:
Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram
Have a great day!
- Is Premier Protein Good For You: Answered - May 28, 2023
- Blueberry Weight Loss Smoothie - May 28, 2023
- Meal Replacement vs Protein Shake - May 27, 2023