Protein shakes don’t have to suck. If you are sick of drinking tasteless and bland protein shakes, you HAVE to try this Nutella protein shake recipe!
Nutella Protein Shake Recipe (4-Ingredients)
- 1 Blender or a Nutribullet
- 2 tbsp Nutella
- 1 cup/150g frozen banana slices
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- 1 cup/250ml low fat milk
- All ingredients are added to a high-speed blender, starting with the banana, followed by the other ingredients.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes, depending on the powder of your blender or a Nutribullet.
- Pour into a glass or a shake bottle, and drink up!
Why Make a Nutella Protein Shake?
Most protein shakes taste pretty bad, especially if you only mix them with water.
Nutella might not be healthy, but adding small amounts to your shakes can really make a difference and make your shakes more enjoyable.
A tablespoon or two of Nutella is not going to ruin your diet, in fact, it can help, since you will be curbing your cravings.
Some more reasons include:
- Mood Boost: Nutella’s indulgent taste can uplift your spirits, turning your shake into a mood-enhancing treat.
- Post-Workout Reward: Transform your chocolate protein shake into a rewarding experience, making post-exercise replenishment enjoyable.
- Energy Elevation: The combination of protein and Nutella provides a quick energy boost, ideal for busy days or pre-workout fuel.
- Craving Control: Small amounts satisfy sweet cravings, aiding in diet adherence.
- Mindful Enjoyment: Adding Nutella in moderation fosters a mindful approach to diet, encouraging appreciation for the little joys.
- Masks The Strong Protein Powder Taste: No matter what brand of protein powder you buy, you will often tell when a drink has had a powder in it. Nutella can help mask the taste, by providing sweetness and a chocolate taste.
Is This Nutella Protein Shake Recipe Healthy?
Yes, it is relatively healthy, even though it contains Nutella. Each serving only has 2 tablespoons of Nutella, which isn’t a lot.
This Nutella shake contains high amounts of potassium thanks to the banana used in the recipe, and of course it’s high in protein.
The Nutella shake has only 4 ingredients, and is much healthier than most store-bought protein shakes.
Unlike commercial shakes with lengthy ingredient lists, the homemade Nutella shake, even with Nutella is healthier.
Optional Recipe Twists & Changes
There are so many different variations of this smoothie that you can make.
I have experimented with different ingredients and flavor combinations, and most of them were delicious.
Some delicious tested variations of this Nutella shake include:
- For a stronger nutty flavor, add a tablespoon of hazelnut butter, or 1 tablespoon of roasted hazelnuts.
- Not a fan of bananas? Swap them for mango instead. For a lower-sugar shake, swap the banana for avocado instead.
- If you are really strict with your diet, swap the Nutella for 2 tablespoons of cocoa or cacao powder.
- For bulking and weight gain, use full- fat milk, and add 1-2 tablespoons of nut butter, such as peanut butter. This should increase the calories per serving significantly.
- If you are lactose intolerant or you are avoiding milk, you can use oat or almond milk instead.
- For a vegan shake, use vegan chocolate spread (my favorite is Vego) and vegan protein powder.
Community Commonly Asked Questions & Their Answers
My fellow gym enthusiasts and bodybuilders were absolutely in love with this Nutella protein shake recipe when I shared it on my Pinterest.
However, I did get several questions, which I will also answer here in this recipe post.
If you have any additional questions though, do not hesitate to contact me!
Is This Nutella Shake Good For Weight Loss Or Weight Gain?
Neither. The shake contains 470 calories, which is quite a lot, but it's high in protein, which helps promote satiety. The shake is fine to be included in your regular diet, regardless of whether you are bulking or trying to lose weight.
When Should I Drink This Nutella Shake?
The shake is best consumed before a workout, since the Nutella in the shake will give you a quick boost of energy. If you do not exercise, the shake is best consumed any time of the day whenever you fancy a tasty high protein snack.
What Kind Of Protein Powder Should I Use?
It really depends on your taste. I have used both vanilla and chocolate protein powders to make this Nutella shake. For a stronger chocolatey flavor, use chocolate protein powder. For a more mild chocolate flavor, blended with vanilla, use vanilla protein powder.