Today I am sharing my smoothie recipe to lower cholesterol which has helped my dad.
If you are someone who struggles with cholesterol and needs to get it down ASAP, you have come to the right place.
*Please scroll past the recipe to find useful information regarding the smoothie & tips if you want and have time!*
Breakfast Smoothie To Lower Cholesterol
- 1 Blender
- 1/2 large avocado stoned and skin removed
- 1 tbsp almond butter Unsweetened
- 1 large apple washed, cored, and diced
- 1 cup/240ml coconut water or unsweetened oat milk
- Prepare the ingredients as described.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender.
- Blend everything until completely smooth. For about 3-4 minutes.
- Drink as soon as it's blended.
NOTE: I am not claiming that simply drinking this smoothie will magically reduce your cholesterol overnight, dietary changes will need to take place to help you achieve that.
But, this smoothie is part of that dietary change, you will drink a deliciously nutritious smoothie which contains ingredients proven to lower cholesterol!
How Do The Ingredients Used In The Smoothie Help Lower Cholesterol?
I researched so much to learn what ingredients can make a positive impact on cholesterol and help with blood pressure and more!
After extensive research, I identified the following ingredients which I used in today’s smoothie recipe:
- Unsweetened Almond Butter: According to PubMed – Almonds have been found to significantly reduce cholesterol in both healthy individuals and people with high cholesterol and diabetes.
- Avocados: Avocados have 0 cholesterol, and the fats they have, are extremely healthy. Don’t be scared by fat, be scared of the wrong type of fat. Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats may help lower your blood cholesterol levels.
- Apple: Apples have high amounts of pectin, which is a type of soluble fiber. Soluble fiber helps your body lower LDL.
- Coconut water: A healthy way to hydrate yourself, and it also helps break down the ingredients above and turn them into a drinkable consistency.
Only 4 simple ingredients. If you expected fancy expensive ingredients, this is not the case.
Trust in natural ingredients. They are not processed, and can benefit your body in numerous ways, not just improve heart health.
Optional Recipe Variations You Can Try
Since there are hundreds of other ingredients that can lower cholesterol, there is room for making variations of this smoothie for high cholesterol.
You can swap ingredients and even add ingredients for increased nutrition.
One of the main reasons why I kept this smoothie using 4 ingredients is simply because the smoothie was tested on my dad, and he doesn’t like fruit or vegetables.
So, using the list of cholesterol lowering ingredients, my dad picked 4 ingredients that he likes more than others.
Needless to say, we all have different tastes, which is why I experimented making different variations of this recipe.
Below I will leave some options for you to make this recipe more tailored to your taste:
- Swap the apple for orange. Do not use orange juice, rather use the whole orange (peeled of course).
- Replace the avocado for carrots. 1 cup of steamed or boiled carrots can provide the same texture avocado does. Consider adding a tablespoon of high quality extra virgin olive though, since healthy fats can have a very positive effect on cholesterol.
- Swap the nut butter for a tablespoon of seeds for a nut-free recipe. Chia seeds, sunflower seeds, and flaxseeds are all great options.
Turn this basic heart-healthy smoothie into an even more nutritiously powerful drink, to help your health as a whole!
- Add a handful of leafy greens. According to Healthline, swiss chard and spinach can help lower cholesterol.
- Incorporate a tablespoon of some seeds! Pumpkin seeds, flax, chia and others are heart-healthy addition to your diet.
- Make it extra fruity. 1/2 cup of mixed berries can enhance the nutritional value of the smoothie, and at the same time also provide benefits to your cardiovascular system.
- Add 1/4 cup of unsweetened quality Greek yogurt. According to many studies, yogurt can help regulate blood pressure. It can also help make your smoothie creamier and more satisfying.
Breakfast Cholesterol Lowering Drink Commonly Asked Questions:
When Should I Drink This Smoothie To Lower Cholesterol?
The best time to drink the smoothie is for breakfast once a day, for 7 days. Combined with increased physical activity and a healthy diet, you can expect positive results.
Can I Meal Prep This Breakfast Smoothie?
The smoothie can be meal prepped in advance. Simple double or triple the recipe. Store the blended smoothie in the fridge. Consume within 3 days.
What Other Smoothies Can I Make For Heart Health?
Other smoothies include: apple smoothies, avocado smoothies, berry smoothies and citrus smoothies.