This is a smoothie when you have diarrhea, a recipe I make whenever I need a quick remedy.
Smoothies can be effective in battling your diarrhea if the right ingredients are used.
For recipe tips and more, please scroll past the recipe to learn more.
Smoothie For Diarrhea (Easy 5-Minute Recipe)
- 1 Blender
- 1 large unripe banana
- 1/3 cup/85g yogurt unsweetened and unflavored
- 1/2 cup/120g applesauce
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg optional
- 1 cup/220ml coconut water
- Combine all the ingredients to a high-speed blender starting with the banana and applesauce first.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes, until you reach smooth consistency.
- Pour the smoothie to your favorite smoothie cups or bottles and drink it!
How Is This Smoothie Good For Diarrhea?
When it comes to relieving diarrhea, what you eat plays a vital role in whether you recover fast or trigger an even worse diarrhea.
This smoothie for diarrhea contains ingredients that are gentle on the stomach and have been researched to help with diarrhea.
Here’s a more thorough breakdown:
- Yogurt (unsweetened and unflavored):
- Contains probiotics, which are beneficial bacteria that can help restore the balance of the gut microbiota disrupted during diarrhea.
- Provides a source of easily digestible protein.
- Offers a mild, easily digestible source of soluble fiber, which can help bulk up stool and regulate bowel movements.
- Contains pectin, a type of soluble fiber that can have a soothing effect on the digestive system.
- Coconut Water:
- Helps prevent dehydration by providing electrolytes like potassium and sodium.
- Is a light and easily digestible source of hydration.
Recipe Variations And Ingredient Swaps
There are quite a lot of different ingredients that help with diarrhea which also work in smoothies.
I have tested multiple different versions of this banana smoothie for diarrhea, so I am going to share some of the variations I made that also worked below:
- Swap the applesauce for 1/4 cup of oats. Oats are excellent for people suffering for diarrhea. If you do use applesauce, ideally use homemade applesauce.
- Use apple juice instead of coconut water if you do not have coconut water.
- Don’t like bananas? Use unripe mango instead. The quantities should be 1/2 cup of sliced mango.
- For a vegan recipe, swap the yogurt for avocado. Measure 1/3 cup of mashed avocado and use this amount instead of the yogurt.
I wanted to leave a couple of helpful tips when you make this recipe to you can create the best possible smoothie.
- Make sure you use unripe banana. Ripe banana is also ok, but using unripe banana can benefit your digestive system the most.
- Do not blend for a long period of time. Only blend until you reach a smooth consistency. Over-blending will lead to the smoothie becoming foamy.
- Both a nutribullet and a blender work fine. If you use a nutribullet, add your most difficult ingredients to blend last, since you will require to flip the nutribullet container and place it to your blade attachment in order to blend.
- Adjust thickness: Tailor the thickness of your smoothie by adjusting the amount of yogurt. If you prefer a thicker consistency, add a bit more yogurt; for a lighter texture, reduce the yogurt.
Popular Questions And Answers For This Smoothie
When I shared this smoothie on my YouTube channel I was asked lots of questions, so I am going to leave some of the most popular questions below and their answers.
I think new people looking for a natural diarrhea relieve with smoothies will find these questions and answers helpful.
If you do have any additional questions, please contact me.
Can You Drink Smoothies With Diarrhea?
Smoothies can be beneficial during diarrhea because they contain easily digestible ingredients that provide essential nutrients and hydration, aiding in recovery and replenishing electrolytes. But it's really important that you make your smoothies using the right ingredients, otherwise you may end up upsetting your stomach even more.
What Should You Not Drink When You Have Diarrhea?
If you struggle with diarrhea, it's best to avoid beverages that can irritate the stomach and digestive system. These includes alcohol, caffeinated drinks, sugary beverages, and dairy products like milk and cream.
Are Smoothies Good After Diarrhea?
If you combine the right ingredients, then yes, they can be good after you have diarrhea. It's best to avoid going back to your normal diet as soon as you start seeing improvement. Wait a day or two before you start drinking your usual smoothies.
When Should I Drink Smoothies For Diarrhea
The best time to drink the smoothie to relieve diarrhea is an hour after you have diarrhea. Preferably drink the smoothie twice a day.