Watermelon protein smoothie that’s thick, refreshing and so filling. I used high-protein peanut butter powder to make this protein watermelon smoothie instead of a traditional protein powder.
Well, the peanut butter powder in a way is a protein powder, but in its own form.
There is no secret that watermelon probably doesn’t belong in a protein shake. But, you have got to try this.
The watermelon brings a lot of freshness to this shake. Have you ever had a protein smoothie, where all you can taste is a thick floury kind of texture? It’s not pleasant!
This watermelon vanilla protein smoothie isn’t like that at all. That is why we like peanut butter powder. Because it’s not very strong, and it dissolves so well.
The peanut butter taste doesn’t come in as strong as you might think. Yes, there certainly are notes of peanuts, but you can definitely taste the refreshing watermelon more than anything.
Furthermore, this protein smoothie works great as a watermelon smoothie for weight loss too, because it’s very filling.
What Can I Blend With Watermelon To Make a Smoothie?
Watermelon is a very watery fruit, so it needs to be blended with ingredients that have texture and ‘body’ to them.
Here’s a list of the best ingredients you can use to make a watermelon smoothie:
- Frozen Berries
- Nut Butters
- Chia Seeds
In terms of pairing the right flavors with watermelon, choose tropical, even sour flavors. Watermelon is very sweet, so zingy and tropical flavors can work very well.
Watermelon pairs particularly well with lemon and lime, along with pineapple.
How To Make Watermelon Protein Smoothie Recipe:
You will need these ingredients:
- Peanut Butter Powder
- Milk you can use dairy or dairy-free, it’s up to you.
To make this watermelon banana protein smoothie all you need to do is add all your ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth.
Serve this watermelon protein shake and enjoy!
You also have the option to take this smoothie and drink it on the go if you like.
How Much Protein Is In a Watermelon Smoothie?
Considering that this protein smoothie with melon does not contain traditional protein powder, it still contains a pretty good amount of protein per serving.
Here is how much protein a serving of this protein drink has:
- 12.6g of protein
However, there are ways to increase the protein content if this amount isn’t enough for your goals, read the recipe customization options below!
Watermelon Protein Shake Recipe Customization
If the ingredients used to make this watermelon protein smoothie are not to your liking, here are some alternative ingredients and add-ons you can use to make this beverage:
- For a watermelon vanilla protein shake, you have two options; add a touch of vanilla extract to your blender, or use vanilla-flavored protein powder.
- Instead of a banana, you can use mango or pineapple; both of these tropical fruits work wonderfully with watermelon!
- For an increased nutrient density, you can add 1/2 cup of frozen berries, which will create a more colorful smoothie, but also enhance the vitamin content of this shake.
- If you like extra thick smoothies, you can use frozen watermelon and frozen bananas.
- For a dairy-free option, use oat or almond milk, instead of dairy milk.
We hope you like this refreshing watermelon protein shake recipe! Any thoughts, or things you have tried that work better, feel free to drop me a comment below. I am here to learn, just like you.
Also, feel free to check out my socials:
Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram
Have a great day!
- 1 cup/150g of watermelon
- 4 tbsp of peanut butter powder (or 1 scoop of protein powder)
- 1 banana
- 1 cup/250ml of low fat milk (or oat milk )
- Slice the watermelon in quarters if using a whole one, peel off the skin, and dice the melon into cubes. Measure 1 cup of watermelon.
- From here the method is simple; after you've prepared the watermelon, add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!
Best consumed straight away.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Drinks
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 12.3
- Fat: 6.3
- Carbohydrates: 23.2
- Fiber: 6.3
- Protein: 12.6
Keywords: healthy, high protein smoothie, protein shake, protein smoothie recipe, refreshing smoothie, smoothie, watermelon smoothie