When I made this weight loss chocolate smoothie for some of my friends they were a bit skeptical, since chocolate isn’t associated with weight loss.
But chocolate can be part of a weight loss diet plan and it can be very useful since it can help curb cravings.
If you want to eat chocolate and lose weight, you have to try this smoothie recipe!Print
- 1 cup frozen banana slices (or 1 large ripe fresh banana)
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1 tbsp of cacao powder
- 1 tsp of chia seeds
- 1 cup of dairy free milk (unsweetened – I used almond)
- Measure your ingredients as listed and set aside.
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender starting with the frozen banana slices, followed by the other ingredients.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes, starting at low speed and gradually increasing. After 2-3 minutes you should achieve a smooth and thick consustency.
- Serve and enjoy!
The smoothie is best consumed straight away.
*If you don’t have frozen bananas, you can use a large ripe fresh banana, but the smoothie won’t come out as thick.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Smoothie
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 smoothie
- Calories: 348
- Sugar: 17.6
- Fat: 14.3
- Carbohydrates: 26.5
- Fiber: 6.8
- Protein: 8.5
Which Chocolate Is Good For Weight Loss?
Not all chocolate is made equal.
Dark chocolate or cocoa/cacao powder are typically the best forms of chocolate for weight loss.
Milk chocolate isn’t good for weight loss, but it can still be used as part of a weight loss diet. But you will need to keep its consumption to a minimum.
A square of dark chocolate typically contains 55 calories, but it’s high in fat (the good fat) which will help you feel fuller for longer.
Other Benefits of This Chocolate Smoothie
This chocolate smoothie doesn’t just taste good and aids weight loss, it has many other benefits too.
Here’s a breakdown of the benefits you can expect to get from this cacao smoothie for weight loss:
- Healthy Fats: Almond butter, cacao, and chia seeds contain healthy fats, which contribute to overall health.
- Rich in Nutrients: The ingredients used in the drink provide essential vitamins like Vitamin C and Vitamin B6.
- Antioxidant Properties: Cacao powder is rich in antioxidants, which help fight free radicals in the body.
- Promotes Satiety & Weight Loss: The combination of fiber, healthy fats, and protein can help you feel full for longer, aiding in weight loss.
- High in Fiber: Both the banana and chia seeds used in this chocolate smoothie offer a good amount of dietary fiber, which is good for digestion.
When To Drink Chocolate Smoothie For Weight Loss
I tested drinking this chocolate banana smoothie for weight loss during these times of the day:
- For Breakfast
- In The Afternoon
- After Dinner
And I found through personal experimentation that the afternoon worked best for me.
In the afternoons I typically fancy a snack, often a sugary treat, so when I made this smoothie and drank it in the afternoon, it curbed all my cravings.
When I drank it after dinner, I found it harder to fall asleep later, because the smoothie contains a bit of caffeine.
When it came to consuming it for breakfast, it felt a bit strange drinking a chocolate drink for breakfast, so I didn’t really like it.
Ultimately, you can test it out for yourself and find what time works for you.
My Recipe Variations To Suit Your Taste
I am going to leave some options for you below which can allow you to use alternative ingredients.
Having more options will not only open the door to creating a slightly different smoothie but also give you the chance to use ingredients you are likely to have at home.
- If you don’t like bananas, which many people don’t so I don’t blame you, you can use frozen mango slices instead.
- For a low-fat smoothie, instead of almond butter, add a tablespoon of oats instead.
- If you are not vegan and have dairy milk to use, you can use dairy milk instead of almond milk. This will add more protein to your smoothie too.
- For a low-sugar chocolate smoothie, if you like yogurt, you can use either vegan-friendly yogurt or unsweetened Greek yogurt instead of banana. The substitute is 1 cup of yogurt to replace the banana.
Questions From The Smoothies N Cookies Community
I have a huge smoothie community on my YouTube channel, where I often share my recipes.
This weight-loss chocolate smoothie was a hit with my followers.
However, some members of the community had some questions regarding the recipe, which I will also answer here in this recipe post:
How Often Should I Drink This Smoothie To Lose Weight?
I personally drank this smoothie 3 days a week, once a day. Whenever I fancied unhealthy snacks, I made this smoothie and it curbed my cravings. This allowed me to reduce the amount of calories consumed for the day, resulting in 0.5 pound weight loss within a week.
Can I Add More Sweetness To The Smoothie?
Yes, you can add additional sweetness, by either adding 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, or adding a touch of stevia for a zero-calorie option.
Can I Add Protein Powder To The Chocolate Smoothie?
Adding a scoop of protein powder is a great way to make this smoothie even more filling. Do note that adding protein powder will increase the calories per serving slightly.
More Chocolate Smoothie Recipes:
Don’t stop here, explore other mouthwatering chocolate smoothie recipes: