Making smoothies at home isn’t as straighhforward process as many people believe.
Achieving the perfect smoothie consistency, taste, thickness and more comes with a lot of practice and experience with making smoothies.
Some people don’t have the time, and are often in a rush, so that is where adding xanthan gum in smoothies comes into play.
Why Add Xanthan Gum In Smoothies
Xanthan gum is often added to smoothies or shakes to thicken them and improve their texture.
It is a great way to fix a watery smoothie, or simply easily add thickness to your smoothies.
Personally, I tend to add xanthan gum to smoothies that I find difficult to thicken.
These typically include green smoothies, or smoothies that contain watery ingredients.
I also like to add xanthan gum to smoothies where I haven’t carefully measured ingredients. When I am not in a mood to create or follow a recipe, I like to throw ingredients in a blender.
That’s when adding a bit of xanthan gum can really make any smoothie come out just perfect!
How Much Xanthan Gum To Thicken Smoothie
Even though xanthan gum may seem like the perfect and easiest way to thicken a smoothie, you still need to get the quantities right!
Here is how much xanthan gum you should add to your smoothies or shakes, depending on the blend:
- For very watery smoothies, add 1/3-1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum.
- For protein shakes, start with 1/4 teaspoon per serving and add more if needed.
- 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum is more than enough for green smoothies.
- For smoothies that already contain naturally thickening ingredients, such as banana smoothies, avocado smoothies or yogurt smoothies, use 1/8 teaspoon of xanthan gum.
Other Benefits Of Adding Xanthan Gum To Your Smoothies
The obvious reason of adding this food additive to your smoothies is obviously the thickening benefit.
However, there are other benefits too, here are some of them:
- Helps Stabilize Blood Sugar (Which Is Good For Weight Loss).
- According To a Study, Xanthan Gum Can Help Manage Diabetes.
- Another Study Suggested That It May Help Your Bowel Movements More Regular.
- It’s Gluten-Free.
- It’s a Low Calorie Thickening Choice For Shakes And Smoothies.
My Smoothie Recipe Using Xanthan Gum
While you are here, and need ideas on how to make a thick smoothie using xanthan gum try my recipe!
It’s delicious, easy to make, and of course very thick and indulgent.
Smoothie Recipe With Xanthan Gum (High-Protein)
- 1 Blender I used this one
- 1 cup/150g frozen mixed berries I used blueberries and raspberries
- 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- 1 handful of spinach washed
- 1 cup/230ml almond milk
- Wash the spinach.
- Measure your ingredients as listed.
- Add the spinach and frozen blueberries to your blender or nutribullet first, followed by the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend for about 3-5 minutes, until you achieve a creamy and smooth consistency.
- Serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Put Xanthan Gum In Smoothies?
Yes, xanthan gum can be added to smoothies, in fact there are many benefits to it. The main benefit being is, it can help improve the texture and thickness of smoothies.
What Happens When You Blend Xanthan Gum?
Xanthan gum blends very well, and is easily incorporated in drinks and shakes. When you blend xanthan gum, you will notice it almost instantly thickens the consistency of the blend.
Does Xanthan Gum Make Smoothies Creamy?
Xanthan gum helps thicken smoothies, so technically yes, it can make them creamier.
How Do You Thicken a Shake Without Xanthan Gum?
To thicken shakes without xanthan gum, you can use ice, chia seeds or simply add less liquid to your shakes.