If you have some watercress at home and want to do something creative with it, make a watercress smoothie!
I bought too much watercress when I last went shopping, which gave me the brilliant idea of creating some delicious watercress smoothie recipes!
Watercress Smoothie Benefits
The primary reason of adding watercress to smoothies is simply the nutrients it can give to your smoothies.
Watercress has many benefits, and it can really nourish your body and provide you with vital vitamins, minerals and more!
Here’s a thorough breakdown of the benefits of adding watercress to smoothies:
- Nutrient-Rich: The smoothie is packed with essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, potassium, magnesium, and calcium, thanks to ingredients like watercress, banana, pineapple, and lime. These nutrients support overall health.
- Delicious Hydration: Coconut water in the smoothie serves as an excellent natural hydrator, helping to maintain proper fluid balance in the body. It’s a good alternative to sugary or artificially flavored drinks.
- Rich In Fiber: The chia seeds and watercress contribute to the smoothie’s fiber content, promoting healthy digestion and helping to keep you feeling full for longer.
- Rich In Antioxidants: Watercress, in particular, is rich in antioxidants like beta-carotene and flavonoids, which can help protect your cells from oxidative stress and support your immune system.
- Good for Bone Health: The combination of calcium and vitamin K from watercress and other ingredients is beneficial for maintaining strong and healthy bones.
- It’s Heart Health: Potassium from banana and coconut water in the watercress smoothie can help regulate blood pressure and promote cardiovascular health. The fiber content also supports heart health by helping to lower cholesterol levels.
- Liver Detoxification: Watercress is known for its potential to support liver detoxification processes, making it beneficial for overall detoxification and improved liver health.
- Weight Management: The fiber and hydration in the smoothie can contribute to a sense of fullness, potentially aiding in weight management and overall appetite control.
Watercress Smoothie Ingredients
In order to make the perfect watercress smoothie, you will need the right ingredients!
Here are the ingredients I used:
- 2 cups of fresh watercress
- 1/2 cup frozen banana slices
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 lime or lemon juiced
- 3-4 fresh mint leaves
Smoothie Recipe Ingredient Alternatives
I always like leaving alternative options for my readers.
Based on a lot of feedback in the past, I found that developing recipes with a variations of different ingredients allows for more individuals to find the recipes more doable.
So, if you lack some of the ingredients I used in this smoothie, you can use alternatives such as:
- Instead of coconut water, using plain water or dairy-free milk of choice is a great alternative.
- If you don’t like bananas, you can use berries. A berry watercress smoothie could be better suited for you.
- The pineapple can easily be substituted for mango.
- The chia seeds can be replaced with oats or flaxseeds.
- If you don’t have fresh mint, dried mint can also work.
Watercress Smoothie For Weight Loss FAQs:
When To Drink Watercress Smoothie For Weight Loss?
If you are trying to lose weight, drinking watercress smoothies for breakfast as a meal replacement are ideal. The smoothie is filling, without the extra calories, helping you achieve a calorie deficit easier.
When To Drink Watercress Smoothie For Detox?
For optimal detox result from the watercress smoothie, drink it either first thing in the morning or last thing before bed! Your body will be able to easier obtain the vital detoxing properties from the watercress on an emptier stomach.
How To Store Watercress Smoothies
Once the smoothie is blended, and you intend to consume it later, pour the blended mixture onto an air-tight container or a smoothie bottle, and close the lids tightly. Store in the fridge, and consume within 2 days. Shake before drinking.
Can You Freeze Watercress For Smoothies
If you have too much fresh watercress, you can absolutely freeze it. However, you will need to first cook it by steaming it or wilting it for example, then squeezing all the water out, and freezing it using a freezer friendly container or a bag.
Easy Green Watercress Smoothie
- 1 Blender I used this one
- 1/2 cup/75g frozen banana slices
- 1/2 cup/75g frozen pineapple chunks
- 2 cups of fresh watercress washed
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2-3 leaves of mint or 1/4 tsp dried mint
- 1 cup/230ml coconut water
- Wash the watercress very well.
- Measure the rest of your ingredients as listed.
- Add the watercress and frozen banana slices and pineapple to your blender or nutribullet first, followed by the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend for about 3-5 minutes, until you achieve a creamy and smooth consistency.
- Serve and enjoy!