Making your smoothies with water is a brilliant way to ensure that you get to enjoy all of the tasty flavors of your favorite recipes, while still reaping all the benefits of a nutritional smoothie packed with good veggies and fruit.
Today, we are going to teach you just how you can make a delicious and healthy smoothie with the only liquid ingredient being water.
Sure, you could use milk, plant-based milk, yogurt, or juice, but water will give you the best of everything and you can enjoy tip-top health benefits without the worry of added sugars.
While many people love to use juice in their smoothies, we are not fans of this, juice is delicious but very high in sugar. This increased amount of sugar can quickly make a smoothie go from being healthy to being unhealthy!
Can You Make A Smoothie With Water?
You can make smoothies with water and we encourage it.
You see, there are several primary liquid bases that people will put in their smoothies:
- Fruit juice
- Plant-based milk
Yogurt is great, and although it is technically not a liquid, it does help to thicken smoothies and adds a dose of protein and extra goodness. Milk and plant-based milk are also good, however, both can be calorific and add additional calories and fats to your smoothie that can make it less healthy.
Juice is where we tend to stray away from, although the juice is delicious, it is also very high in sugars and often includes added sugars.
So, while it makes smoothies taste very delicious and fruity, it is not good for you and usually ends up adding an unnecessary amount of sugar.
Water on the other hand has 0 calories and 0 sugar, and it hydrates you. When you add water to a smoothie you give it a liquid base to aid in the blending process and make it more drinkable, but you are also not adding any extras that could decrease the health benefits of the smoothie.
Yet, at the same time, you are adding a source of hydration. Most of us barely drink anywhere near enough water as it is, so adding some to your smoothie can give you that extra little boost that you didn’t know you needed!
What Are The Benefits Of Drinking Smoothies Made With Water?
When you make a smoothie with water instead of juice or milk you still get all of the benefits of the veggies and fruits that you have put in the smoothie without any of the added sugar or calories that come with sweetened milk or pre-made fruit juices.
Water is hydrating as well, so you maintain good health as well. Drinking plenty of water helps to improve your complexion, regulate your body temperature, boost your energy levels, help your digestive tract, and more!
Water can work wonders for you, so including water in your smoothies can help make sure you are hydrated enough!
Water can also help to stave off hunger! Oftentimes we end up snacking, thinking we are hungry when we are just thirsty and dehydrated.
Having a smoothie can help to stave off hunger and reduce snacking, but adding water, and therefore hydrating too will help even more, making it great for weight loss!
How To Add Variety & Flavor To Water-Based Smoothies
If you want to add a bit of extra flavor to water-based smoothies, there are a few different ways you can do this.
- Try to give it a spruce of citrus by adding some fresh lemon or lime juice. This can add a touch of flavor and will brighten up the flavors of your vegetables and fruits.
- For some added sweetness, add a ripe banana. Bananas have a natural sweetness and can add flavor to the smoothie. If you want the smoothie extra creamy try a frozen banana!
- For some extra protein, add protein powder to the smoothie, this adds some extra nutrition.
- To boost your hydration and add a bit of flavor, mix in some electrolytes with the water before you add it, these can come in a variety of flavors and add some additional vitamins and minerals, while helping your body hydrated!
Combinations For Water-Based Smoothies
If you’re stuck on ideas of what to put into your water-based smoothies, we have a few ideas for you!
- Try a watermelon smoothie, since watermelons are already high in water content, they mix in perfectly. Use a watermelon and a bit of water and you can create an awesome smoothie just like this! It is so simple! This is a great way to hydrate on a summer’s day, and you needn’t add extra flavor because the watermelon brings it all!
- Try a strawberry-banana smoothie. Bananas and strawberries go so well together, they are incredibly refreshing. You only need to use fresh fruits and water to blend it all, and the flavors that strawberries and bananas bring are irresistible and naturally sweet, so you can get your sugar fix from here!
- A banana smoothie can be awesome. One of our favorite ways to make a banana-based healthy smoothie is to use water, bananas, and spinach. The banana’s sweetness balances out the spinach, and you also get some extra fiber from the spinach, while ingesting fewer calories!
Our Favorite Water Based Smoothie Recipe
So, how to make smoothies with water? Can you use water in a smoothie? You certainly can!
Check out our delicious and easy water based smoothie below!
Smoothie With Water
- 1 Blender We used this one
- 1 cup/150g of mixed frozen berries Use whatever berries you like
- 250 ml of cold water
- 1 tbsp of greek yogurt unsweetened
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Add all the ingredients to your blender jug.
- Process until completely smooth. For about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
We encourage you to watch the video embedded above, to learn more on how to make smoothies with water.
What We Love About Smoothies With Water
We love smoothies, period, but making them with water just means that they are extra healthy, staying away from unnecessary sugars, fats, and calories, while adding extra hydration into the mix.
We do love coming up with new ideas, however, using water means you need to think about the nutritional value of the ingredients as well as the flavors they bring.
When you aren’t relying on juice or milk or flavor, you have to think about your ingredients with more care, and it inspires creative blends. Ingredients such as mango, banana, strawberry, spinach, and such all bring so much potent flavor and mix so well with water.
When you make a smoothie with water, you open up the door to even more creativity as well!
If the kids don’t want to eat or drink their fruit and veggies, the next best thing will be to freeze your smoothies into ice lollies! Water will make it easier to freeze the smoothies, and that way your kids get their fruits and veggies, and a great treat!
Can I Use Water To Make A Smoothie?
Of course, you can, water is the best way to make delicious and healthy smoothies without any added, calories, sugars, or fats!
How Much Water Should You Put Into A Smoothie?
The water content you include in your smoothies depends on what ingredients you are using. We would recommend that you start with just 1/2 a cup and then progressively add more as needed until you reach your ideal consistency. You want the smoothie to be drinkable, but you don’t want it super watery either, so add water in bit by bit.
Can You Add Frozen Fruit To Water-Based Smoothies?
Of course, you can! It doesn’t affect anything! Frozen fruit can help to create delicious, thick smoothies without needing any dairy to be added in. Just ensure you have enough water to help blend the frozen fruit properly!