I am about to move house, which means I need to start clearing out my freezer.
I had a bag full of homemade frozen yogurt, so I started thinking of creative ways to use it.
So, I came up with this frozen yogurt smoothie recipe. It allowed me to not only use the frozen yogurt but also use some frozen fruit too that I needed to use.
Is Frozen Yogurt Healthy In Smoothies?
The answer is, it depends. If you use homemade frozen yogurt made with only unsweetened Greek yogurt for example, then yes, this will be healthy.
However, if you use a frozen yogurt that you bought from the grocery store and it’s flavored and contains added sugars, then no, it’s not healthy.
There are, however, some very healthy store-bought frozen yogurt. For example, some are made with nothing but yogurt and contain live and active probiotic cultures.
Probiotic cultures are so good for our gut health.
Benefits of Frozen Yogurt Smoothie
I wondered for a long time – can you freeze yogurt for smoothies? So I did a bit of research and started freezing my own yogurt for smoothies.
The recipe I am sharing with you today for a frozen yogurt smoothie is made using homemade frozen yogurt cubes, that are simply made using 1 ingredient: Greek yogurt!
This makes this smoothie very healthy. Here are some of the main benefits of this yogurt shake:
- Gut Healthy: The use of probiotic-rich yogurt with live cultures makes this smoothie really beneficial to your gut health. The fiber in the fruit also further enhances these benefits.
- Protein Boost: This yogurt smoothie recipe contain yogurt and protein powder, which are both high in protein. Protein supports muscle growth, repair, and overall body functions.
- Antioxidant Properties: The presence of antioxidants in this smoothie helps combat free radicals and may reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Bone Health: The yogurt and almond milk used in this beverage provide calcium, promoting strong bones and teeth.
- Boosts Immune System & More: Vitamin C supports immune function, skin health, and wound healing.
- May Help In Weight Loss: This Greek yogurt smoothie can aid weight loss. It’s filling and relatively low in calories.
These are just some of the benefits, not all of them!
How to Make a Smoothie With Frozen Fruit And Yogurt
Making this vanilla frozen yogurt smoothie recipe is quite easy, especially if you already have frozen yogurt, and you don’t need to freeze it yourself.
You will need these ingredients to make this smoothie:
- Frozen Yogurt
- Frozen Berries
- Protein Powder
- Almond Milk
Start with the ingredients that are more difficult to blend. These include frozen yogurt and berries.
Once the ingredients are added, blitz until completely smooth. Stopping halfway through to scrape off the sides for a smooth blend.
Recipe Tips & Variations
There are some variations of this drink that you can make. Making smoothies to suit your own taste is ideal, the combination fo flavors and ingredients I used to make this frozen yogurt drink works for me.
But that doesn’t mean they will work for you.
Here are some options and alternative ingredients that you can use:
- If you don’t like protein powders, substitute the protein powder for 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds or oats. You can even use nut butter too.
- I used frozen strawberries to make this smoothie, but you can use any berry or fruit you like.
- For a nut-free recipe, substitute almond milk for oat milk or low-fat dairy milk.
- For a tropical-tasting smoothie, you can use coconut milk instead of almond milk, and also add 1/2 cup pineapple or mango as an addition together with the other ingredients.
If you like ultra-thick smoothies, you can use more frozen yogurt and less liquid.
Frozen Yogurt Smoothie [Easy & Healthy]
- 1 Blender I used this one
- 5-6 cubes or 2 scoops of frozen yogurt
- 1/2 cup/75g - 1 cup150g frozen berries of choice the amount of berries you use depends on how thick you like your smoothies
- 1 scoop of protein powder unsweetened
- 200 ml almond milk unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Measure the ingredients carefully.
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender starting with the frozen fruit and yogurt. Blitz until smooth. For about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!