If you have ever been to Panera Bread, you must have tried their smoothies. If you like them, then you will want to keep buying them.
However, we all know that buying anything ready-made for you is pricey, so I decided to make my own copycat version of the Panera bread strawberry banana smoothie.
What Are Panera Smoothies Made Of?
Panera smoothies are very tasty, there is no doubt about that. But what are the ingredients?
Here they are:
Water, Strawberry Fruitbase (Strawberry Puree, White Grape Juice Concentrate, Apple Puree, Filtered Water, Concord Grape Juice Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Vitamins (C, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, B6, B12), Steviol Glycosides), Banana, Whole Milk Plain Greek Yogurt (Cultured Pasteurized Non-Fat Milk, Cream, Contains Live Active Cultures S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei, L. Paracasei, L. Rhamnosus)
These are the ingredients for their banana and strawberry smoothie.
I wondered for a long time – are Panera smoothies healthy? And I came to the realization that they are not. Which is why I make my own copycat version!
There are certainly good things about the smoothie, especially the Greek yogurt, but you cannot say that their smoothie is the healthiest drink you can get.
The problem is the high amount of fruit purees, and juices from concentrate, which typically contain added sugars.
Worry not, though, because this copycat version is much, much healthier!
Benefits Of Homemade Panera Strawberry Banana Smoothie
The homemade copycat Panera Bread smoothie recipe is much healthier than the original.
Here are the benefits you can get from drinking this smoothie:
- Rich in Vitamins and Minerals: High in essential nutrients like Vitamin C, potassium, and calcium.
- Protein Boost: The Greek yogurt provides a good amount of protein which is important for muscle repair and overall health.
- Antioxidants: Strawberries and apples contain antioxidants, which help improve your health as a whole.
- High in Fiber: The fruit in the fruit contains dietary fiber, aiding in digestion and promoting a healthy gut.
- Quick Energy: The natural sugars from the fruits provide a quick source of energy.
- Skin Health: The vitamins and antioxidants in the fruits can promote healthy skin.
How To Make Panera Strawberry Banana Smoothie
I wanted to make this smoothie taste as close to the original Panera Bread strawberry banana smoothie recipe.
So, I chose the very same ingredients Panera uses, but instead of the form of fruit purees and concentrates, I used the whole fruit, which is healthier.
Now, I am not going to say that this smoothie tastes EXACTLY like the original recipe, but it’s very close, and it’s much cheaper and much healthier!
You will need these ingredients:
- Frozen Banana
- Greek Yogurt
To make this panera bread smoothie recipe – add all the ingredients to a blender, and blitz for about 4-5 minutes.
Serve and consume it immediately!
Recipe Variations And Substitutions
If you want to achieve a smoothie that tastes closer to the original recipe, I will leave some options below.
Do note though, that these options will make this smoothie less healthy!
- Use 50/50 grape juice and whole milk, just like the original recipe rather than just milk as the liquid.
- Use 1-2 tablespoons of sweeteners, such as honey, agave or maple syrup.
- If you can get your hands on some fruit purees, such as strawberry, use that instead of the whole strawberry fruit. This will help you achieve the strong sweet taste you are used to at Panera.
More Smoothie Recipes:
Copycat Panera Bread Smoothie
- 1 Blender We used this one
- 1 cup/150g of frozen banana slices
- 1/2 cup/75g frozen strawberries
- 2 tbsp of Greek yogurt unsweetened
- 1/2 apple cored and diced
- 1/2 cup/125ml of full fat milk
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blitz until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!
- *You can serve it over ice, for extra freshness!