If you recently had a sugar binge on unhealthy treats, then a sugar detox might be required.
When I have a bad sugar binge the night before, the next day I always make a sugar detox drink so I can get back on track!
Are Smoothies a Good Way to Detox Sugar?
Not all smoothies are made equal or are good for a sugar detox.
However, if done correctly, using ingredient that help detox sugar, then yes, smoothies can be effective in that case.
The most important part of dealing with sugar withdraw after a binge, is to not beat yourself up.
Make sure you eat well a balanced diet the next day, with plenty of fat, protein and veggies. Together with sugar detox drinks, you should be back on track in no time!
Sugar Detox Smoothie Recipe Benefits
The main benefit of this detox smoothie is of course the easing of the sugar withdrawal symptoms.
However, because the smoothie is made using an array of healthy ingredients, they can contribute to many other benefits too.
- It’s Rich In Antioxidants: Green tea is rich in antioxidants, particularly catechins, which can help combat oxidative stress and free radicals in the body, potentially supporting your body’s natural detoxification pathways.
- It’s a Great Hydration: Proper hydration is essential for overall health and can help your body eliminate waste and toxins more effectively.
- High Fiber: The chia seeds and fruit in the smoothie provide fiber, which can aid in digestion and the elimination of waste from your body.
- High In Vitamins and Minerals: The vitamins and minerals in the smoothie, such as vitamin C and potassium, are essential for various bodily functions, including detoxification processes.
- Contains Alkaline Properties: Cucumber, lime, and kiwi are alkaline-forming foods, which MAY help maintain the body’s pH balance.
- Contains Healthy Fats: Chia seeds provide healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for heart and brain health.
- It Can Potential Aid Weight: Due to its fiber content and relatively low calorie count, this smoothie may assist in weight management. Furthermore, this smoothie also help remove excess water in your body, resulting in weight-loss.
Ingredients Needed To Make a Sugar Detox Beverage
The ingredient selection plays a very important role in where or not this smoothie will be beneficial or not.
I will break down each ingredient so you can gain understanding of why it was chosen!
#1. Green Tea
One of the best things about green tea is the fact that it can help reduce sugar cravings, thanks to its antioxidants, which have the potential to regulate blood sugar levels and decrease insulin resistance.
This results in fewer urges for sugary indulgences!
Often, speaking from a personal experience, when I have a sugar binge the night before, the next day, I feel later in the day the need to eat sugar again.
Green tea helps curb that need.
One crucial way of getting rid of the sugar withdraw symptoms, is to hydrate well.
Cucumbers are 96% water, making them an excellent way to hydrate, as well as providing you with some vitamins too.
Pineapple contains a good amount of fiber and a mix of different vitamins.
It’s crucial that you provide your body with essential nutrients during a sugar detox, because this will help your body detox better.
#4. Chia Seeds
Chia seeds contain fiber, protein and the good kind of fat. When you are sugar detoxing, it’s important that you get a mix of all types of macros.
Intentionally restricting fat for example, could make you hungrier, and could potentially lead to another sugar binge.
#5. Lime Juice
Lime juice is an ingredient I always use in my detox smoothies.
It contains high amounts of vitamin C, and other properties that can aid the detox process.
Kiwi is such an underrated fruit. It contains more vitamin C than oranges!
Thanks to the high doses of vitamin C, its fiber, and relatively low in sugar, kiwi can really help the process of the sugar detox.
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions:
When To Drink Sugar Detox Smoothie?
The best time to drink this detox smoothie is first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. Once a day is more than enough.
What Else Do I Need To Do After Drinking The Detox Smoothie?
This detox smoothie alone won't help you detox fully, if you don't look after yourself. For example, eating healthily throughout the day and being physically active. Drinking plenty of water is also advised.
How To Store Leftover Smoothie?
If you make double or triple the smoothie recipe, you will need to store it properly to last longer. Transfer the blended smoothie onto an air-tight container, or smoothie bottles, and refrigerate. Consume within 2 days.
Sugar Detox Smoothie
- 1 Blender I used this one
- 1 cup/230ml brewed cooled green tea unsweetened
- 1/2 cup/75g sliced cucumber
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1/2 cup/75g frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/2 kiwi peeled and diced
- Brew the green tea and let it cool completely.
- Prepare and measure the rest of the ingredients.
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender starting with the frozen pineapple slices. Follow with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until smooth. For about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!