I spent a lot of time working on the perfect vegan protein shake recipe, so today I am ready to share my final result.
After numerous different variations, I have settled to share this recipe with you all.
Most people love chocolate and thick shakes, so this recipe is sure to satisfy most of you shake lovers out there!
Benefits Of This Vegan Protein Shake
Since this protein shake is homemade, and it contains a serving of fruit and leafy greens, it offers plenty of benefits.
This protein shake recipe is almost a hybrid between a smoothie and a shake, but it’s so good.
Here are the benefits of this vegan protein shake recipe without protein powder:
- Nutrient Dense: The vegan shake provides a variety of vitamins and minerals including Vitamin C, calcium, and iron.
- Rich in Antioxidants: Ingredients like mango, cacao powder, and spinach are good sources of antioxidants, which can help fight oxidative stress.
- High Protein Content: The addition of peanut butter and chia seeds provides a good amount of protein, beneficial for muscle repair and satiety.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Chia seeds are a good source of omega-3s, which are essential fats that have been shown to improve heart health.
- Fiber Boost: With ingredients like chia seeds, mango, and spinach, the shake is high in fiber, aiding digestion and promoting feelings of fullness.
- Healthy Fats: The peanut butter and chia seeds contribute healthy fats which are good for your brain and cell membranes.
- Energy Boosting: The combination of healthy fats, protein, and carbohydrates provides a balanced energy boost.
As you can see, this vegan high protein smoothie contains numerous benefits, the high protein content isn’t the only benefit.
Weight Benefits Of This Vegan Shake
This shake can suit people who are bodybuilding, trying to gain weight and even who are trying to lose weight.
The secret here is to make sure you incorporate it in your diet in a smart way.
This means if you are trying to lose weight for example, use this shake as a meal replacement.
If you are trying to gain weight and bodybuild, add this shake as as snack along with other meals.
This will allow you to increase your overall calories for the day, leading to weight gain.
Ingredients Needed To Make a Vegan Protein Shake Recipe
The ingredient selection was particularly important, because I didn’t use protein powder to make this high protein smoothie.
Another challenge was finding plant-based protein alternatives that work well in shakes.
So, here are the ingredients I used to make this protein shake:
#1. Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are an all-time favorite of mine. These little seeds are high protein, and work very well in shakes and smoothies.
Furthermore, they contain numerous other benefits apart from being a great plant-based protein source.
#2. Peanut Butter
Nut butters such as peanut butter are an affordable and tasty source of vegan protein.
Peanut butter also works fantastically in smoothies and shakes too. Which is why I chose peanut butter.
However, you can also use any other nu butter of choice, such as almond or cashew.
#3. Cacao Powder
Chocolate, in any form is a great source of protein.
I used cacao powder in this vegan protein shake recipe. It not only gave the drink a tasty chocolate flavour, but also a great dose of protein.
Spinach is one of the few leafy greens that actually has a great amount of protein in it.
A cup of spinach or 30g, contains about 1g of protein. Which is pretty good, considering most vegetables barely contain any protein.
Spinach is also very nutritious, which makes this beverage quite healthy.
I wanted to make a vegan protein shake recipe without banana. Mango is a great substitute for banana in smoothies and shakes.
It’s thickening and also very sweet. Not to mention it also offers an abundance of health benefits too.
#6. Almond Milk
Every smoothie and shake needs a liquid base. I chose almond milk, because it’s high in protein, and it works very well in shakes.
I chose unsweetened and unflavoured almond milk, because I avoid added sugars. But if you don’t mind the added sweetness to your dairy-free milk, use sweetened version.
#7. Maple Syrup
Maple syrup is the best syrup to put in a smoothie in my opinion. The maple syrup in this recipe is optional, it’s only if you prefer sweeter shakes, and you are bulking.
If you are trying to lose weight, avoid using maple syrup, since it’s quite sugar-heavy.
How To Make a Chocolate Vegan Protein Shake
Once you have assembled your ingredients, you need to do is:
- Add all your ingredients to a high-speed blender, starting with the spinach, liquid, and frozen mango.
- Blend until completely smooth. Usually for about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the shake to your desired serving glass or shake bottle.
- Add a couple of cubes of ice if you like.
- Enjoy this delicious chocolate protein shake!
Recipe Variations And Substitutions
The ingredients I used to make this vegan shake might not be to your liking, or you may not have them at home.
So, I am leaving some options for you, so you can still make this shake, even if it means swapping some of them:
- Instead of mango you can either use pineapple, berries, or bananas.
- You can replace the spinach for kale or other leafy green.
- Substitute the peanut butter for other nut butter of choice, but, preferably use unsweetened.
- Instead of chia seeds, use oats or flaxseeds.
- The cacao powder can be replaced for cocoa powder.
- 1 cup frozen mango slices
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 tsp agave or maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (unsweetened)
- Prepare all your ingredients and measure them as listed in the ingredient list.
- Add all the ingredients starting with the spinach, liquid and frozen mango to a high-speed blender and blitz until smooth. For about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Best consumed straight away, however, you can take it with you and drink it on the go too.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Category: Protein Shake, Smoothie
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 470
- Sugar: 30
- Fat: 25
- Carbohydrates: 55
- Fiber: 17
- Protein: 16.5
Keywords: chocolate protein shake, low calorie protein shakes, protein shake recipe, vegan protein smoothies, vegan smoothie