If you have been over-indulging during the festive season, you are not alone!
You and I both need an after-Christmas detox drink, and I am here to tell you that I might have just developed the perfect detox drink.Print
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (unsweetened)
- 1 handful of spinach (washed)
- 1–2 leaves of fresh mint (washed)
- 1 tsp minced ginger root
- 1 tablespoon Manuka honey (or regular honey)
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries (I used strawberries and blueberries)
- 1/2 tsp matcha powder (optional)
- 2–3 tbsp water ( to help the blending)
- Measure and prepare your ingredients as instructed.
- Add the ingredients to a blender or a nutribullet, starting with the frozen fruit first. Follow with the other ingredients.
- Blend until smooth. For about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Best consumed straight away. However, you can take it with you on the go too and drink it.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Category: Drink, Smoothie
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 22
- Sodium: 60
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 44
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 11
How To Detox After Christmas: My 5 Steps
Eating whole boxes of chocolate and excessive alcohol consumption can not only impact our health as a whole, but it can also make us gain unwanted weight.
Going on a post-Christmas cleanse is a must, especially if you are someone who takes pride in their appearance and looks after their health.
Here’s how I detox every year after Christmas:
#1. Start A 3-Day Smoothie Detox Cleanse
Every year after Christmas, I go on a detox smoothie diet for 3 days.
During these 3 days, I drink 1 detox smoothie a day.
#2. Eat Healthy Balanced Meals
Balance is the keyword, do not limit treats, because if you do, you will just end up overindulging later, and you will have to start over.
I like to have a little dessert at the end of the day after eating well and healthily.
#3. Drink Plenty Of Water
Water only, do not drink fruit juices. Fruit juices contain lots of sugar, and they will give you the urge to snack on unhealthy sugary foods.
Proper hydration is so important, not just for curbing hunger, but for your health as a whole.
#4. Get Physically Active
Moving, even just walking can be so beneficial, not just physically wise, but also mentally.
I have a dog, which helps me get out of the house for plenty of walks during the day!
I try to hit 10,000 steps a day, sometimes even more. If you go to the gym, even better.
#5. Avoid Alcohol Consumption
Do not drink any alcohol if possible. Alcohol will not only make you eat more, but it’s not very good for your health.
When you are detoxing, you want to avoid all alcohol, and if possible cigarettes too.
I also recommend that you try my alcohol detox smoothie too, try to include it during your 3-day smoothie detox.
How This Post Christmas Drink Helps You Get Back On Track
One of my best friends is a nutritionist, and she gave me a couple of tips and suggested the ingredients I should use to make this detox smoothie.
She also explained why each ingredient can help you detox and cleanse:
- Lemon Juice:
- Lemons are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, which can help to flush out toxins from the body. The acidity of lemon juice also supports digestion and liver function.
- Greek Yogurt:
- Greek yogurt is a good source of probiotics, which are beneficial bacteria that promote a healthy gut. A healthy gut is essential for proper digestion and absorption of nutrients, and it can contribute to overall well-being.
- Spinach is a nutrient-dense leafy green that provides vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It contains chlorophyll, which may help in detoxifying the body by supporting liver function.
- Fresh Mint:
- Mint has digestive properties that can help soothe the stomach and alleviate indigestion. It also adds a refreshing flavor to the smoothie.
- Minced Ginger Root:
- Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It may help in reducing inflammation in the body and promoting digestion. Ginger can also provide a warming effect.
- Manuka Honey:
- Honey has antimicrobial properties and can help soothe the digestive system. Manuka honey, in particular, is known for its potential additional health benefits, including antibacterial properties.
- Mixed Frozen Berries:
- Matcha Powder:
- Matcha is a type of green tea that is ground into a fine powder. It contains antioxidants called catechins, which may help protect cells from damage. It also provides a gentle energy boost. After binging (whether it’s food or alcohol) the next day you often feel very tired. Matcha can help you feel energized. (Definitely also try my Green tea detox drink).
- Staying hydrated is crucial for the detoxification process. Water helps flush out toxins from the body and supports various bodily functions, including digestion and circulation.
Questions From My Community
I shared this recipe with my YouTube audience, and my followers loved it.
Some of them had some pretty good questions regarding this Christmas lemon detox drink, which I am going to answer here as well:
Does This Christmas Detox Smoothie Also Help With Weight Loss?
It can, especially if it's used as a meal replacement. Combine physical activity and healthier food choices, and you should lose a bit of weight. I lost weight after the 3rd day, but a lot of it was water weight.
When Should I Be Drinking This Drink?
I recommend that you drink this detox smoothie for breakfast, as a meal replacement, for 3 days in a row. I have been doing this for 3 years in a row now, the same smoothie, 3 days in a row after Christmas, and I always feel so much better.
Can I Make This Drink Vegan?
Yes, you can easily make this drink vegan-friendly. Do not add any honey as listed in the recipe, and swap the yogurt for 1 scoop of protein powder. Use an extra 1/2 cup of berries to add more sweetness to the smoothie since you won't be using honey.