This high-protein egg white smoothie is perfect for bodybuilders or for those people looking to incorporate more protein into their diet.
Look, I am not gonna sit here and tell you that this smoothie is gonna be liked by everyone. The truth is, only a small percentage of people would be interested in this recipe, and that’s okay.
If you are just as weird as me and want to try this egg-white smoothie, then you are my kind of person!Print
- 2 egg whites 100% pasteurized (or 3 boiled egg whites)
- 1–2 scoops of protein powder (depending on the scoop size or serving)
- 1 large banana (peeled)
- 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup of low-fat milk
- Prepare the the ingredients as described.
- To a blender, add the banana and egg whites first, followed by the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- Pour into a cup or a portable bottle, and drink it.
*For smoothie benefits, recipe notes, and more, scroll down!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Smoothie, Protein Shake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size: 1 smoothie
- Calories: 451
- Sugar: 25.6g
- Fat: 5.5g
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Protein: 45.3g
Why You Will Like This Protein Egg White Smoothie
While the smoothie is quite unique, based on the fact that it contains egg whites in it, that doesn’t mean it’s not tasty or tastes any different from other smoothies.
You cannot taste the egg in the smoothie, so it’s like drinking a fruit smoothie. You won’t be able to tell there are eggs in it.
Other reasons why I think you should try this smoothie include:
High Protein Content
- Muscle Repair and Growth: With both egg whites and protein powder as ingredients, this smoothie is packed with high-quality protein, essential for muscle repair, growth, and maintenance, making it an excellent choice for athletes and those engaged in regular physical activity. (Source)
- Nutrient-Dense: Combining fruits, and egg whites results in a smoothie that’s not only high in protein but also provides a good mix of carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals, supporting overall health.
- Low in Fat: The use of egg whites and low-fat milk keeps the fat content minimal, which can be beneficial for those monitoring their fat intake for health or dietary reasons.
- Sustained Energy: The carbohydrates from the banana and blueberries offer quick energy, while the high protein content ensures sustained energy levels, helping to avoid the mid-morning or afternoon slump.
- Heart Health: Low in saturated fat and cholesterol, this smoothie can be a heart-healthy addition to your diet, especially with the inclusion of potassium-rich bananas that help manage blood pressure. (Source)
- Bone Strength: Calcium from the milk and vitamin K from the blueberries contribute to bone health, making this smoothie beneficial for maintaining strong bones. (Source)
- Fiber-Rich: The banana and blueberries provide dietary fiber, promoting healthy digestion and contributing to a feeling of fullness. (Source)
Convenience and Taste
- Quick and Easy: This smoothie is simple to make and can serve as a quick breakfast or snack, fitting easily into busy schedules.
- Delicious and Refreshing: The combination of sweet banana, tart blueberries, and the creaminess from the milk and protein powder makes for a deliciously refreshing drink that doesn’t compromise on taste.
- Versatile: The recipe can be easily modified to suit dietary preferences or restrictions, such as using different types of milk or adding other fruits and supplements, making it a versatile option for many.
Smoothie Variations And Recipe Notes
While I personally love this recipe as it is, after performing lots of testing, there are things you can tweak in the recipe.
The variations of this smoothie I am going to suggest have been tested by me, so rest assured, they do work!
- No Banana: If you don’t like bananas, replace them with mango or pineapple instead.
- The Eggs: If using raw egg whites, make sure they are pasteurized, this is very important. Alternatively, use hard-boiled egg whites.
- Add Some Nutiness: Incorporate a tablespoon of your favorite nut butter for a tasty background nutty flavor.
- Throw Some Greens: Incorporate a handful of spinach or kale into your smoothie. That won’t impact the flavor, but it will add extra nutrients.
Equipment For The Recipe:
|Vitamix Blender Propel 510
|Ninja Blender BL610
|Oster 6640 Blender
|Hamilton Beach 58148A Blender
|AMZChef Blender 1800 W
Even though the recipe contains frozen blueberries, all my blenders and models worked with it, even my lower-speed blender.
I am confident that whatever blender you own will work with this recipe.
How Does This Smoothie Fit Into a Bodybuilding Diet?
This smoothie is an excellent addition to a bodybuilding diet due to its high protein content from egg whites and protein powder, essential for muscle repair and growth.
Can I use whole eggs instead of egg whites?
Yes, you can use whole eggs for added nutrients like vitamins D and B12 found in the yolk, but keep in mind it will increase the fat and calorie content of the smoothie.
Is This Smoothie Suitable For a Post-Workout Drink?
Yes, with its high protein content and carbohydrates, it's an excellent choice for muscle recovery and replenishing energy stores after a workout.
Can I Add Supplements Like Creatine To This Smoothie?
Yes, you can add creatine or other workout supplements to this smoothie.