You may have not thought of ever making a rice smoothie, but if rice goes in a pudding, why can’t it go in smoothies?
So, I tried it! I chose classic well-known flavors with the rice. So I aimed to achieve the same taste you would get from rice pudding.
So I guess you could call this smoothie a rice pudding smoothie! You have to try it, you will be surprised how good rice can be in a smoothie.
Is Rice Good In Smoothies?
Rice works wonderfully with fruit, especially berries, which is why adding cooked rice to your smoothies works so well.
Rice helps thicken smoothies and also helps ramp up the energy you get from your smoothies.
Furthermore, rice is quite tasteless, so adding it to your smoothies won’t spoil their taste, you can still taste all the other ingredients.
Can You Blend Rice In a Blender?
Rice blends very well in smoothies. But you have to make sure that you cook the rice first.
If you are wondering whether you can put uncooked rice in smoothies, the answer is no, it is not recommended.
Even a powerful blender will struggle to blend it well, so you will end up with bits in your smoothie.
Also, as Healthline states, eating raw rice can bring potential health risks. So, always cook your rice!
Types Of Rice To Use In Smoothies
Because there are so many types of rice, you are probably wondering what the right type of rice is to add to your smoothies.
The answer is, they are all great! However, some rice types have nuances and vary in taste.
Generally, what I would recommend, as someone who has made dozens of smoothies using rice, is these types of rice are the best in smoothies:
- Sticky Rice
- White Basmati Rice
- Arborio Rice
- Jasmine Rice
- Sushi Rice
- Brown Rice
Generally, white rice is best for smoothies.
How To Make a Cream Of Rice Smoothie
You will need:
- Cooked White Rice
- Frozen Berries
- Coconut Milk
- Peanut Butter
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
To make this rice smoothie for weight loss, make sure you boil or steam the rice, then let it cool completely.
Add all of the ingredients to a blender, and blend for about 4-5 minutes, until smooth. (Full recipe breakdown below).
Serve this delicious vegan rice pudding smoothie immediately.
Recipe Substitutions And Variations:
In case you want a slightly different smoothie, here are some optional variations and substitutions you can make to this energy smoothie:
- For a brown rice smoothie, use brown rice instead of white rice in your smoothie.
- Instead of berries, you can use tropical fruit, such as mango or pineapple.
- For double rice flavor, use rice milk instead of coconut milk.
- If you are nut-free, you can replace the peanut butter with seeds, such as flax or chia.
I hope you like this easy and delicious rice smoothie recipe. Any thoughts, or things you have tried that work better, feel free to drop me a comment below. I am here to learn, just like you.
Rice Smoothie [Pudding Taste]
- 1 Blender We used this one
- 150 ml coconut milk from a can unsweetened
- 1/2 cup/100g cooked white rice steamed or boiled
- 1/2 cup/75g frozen mixed berries
- 1 tbsp peanut butter unsweetened
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 tsp vanilla
- Cook your rice by steaming it or boiling it. Roughly 1/3 cup of uncooked rice will make the right amount of cooked rice you need.
- Once the rice is cooked, let it cool completely.
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blitz until smooth. For about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!