This recipe for smoothie for lunch is the perfect meal replacement smoothie for those people who are on the go during lunch or just haven’t got time to sit down and eat a meal.
This lunch meal replacement smoothie is also great if you are trying to lose weight. It’s low in calories, but very filling!
To learn more about the benefits of the smoothie and recipe tips, please scroll past the recipe!Print
- 1/2 avocado (peeled and stoned (you can use frozen too)
- 1/2 cup frozen berries of choice (I used strawberries)
- 1 handful of spinach (washed)
- 1 cup low fat milk (you can use dairy-free)
- 2 tbsp of Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp of oats (use GF if needed)
- 1 tsp of honey (optional)
- Prepare the ingredients as instructed.
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender, starting with the frozen fruit and spinach first.
- Blend for 4-5 minutes until smooth!
- Serve and drink immediately, or take it with you on the go!
Can be taken to work, and consumed within 4 hours.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Smoothie
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 15
- Fat: 18
- Carbohydrates: 30
- Fiber: 8
- Protein: 15
Why Have Smoothies For Lunch?
While the most obvious reason is weight loss, having smoothies for lunch can have so many more benefits than that.
Some of the benefits include:
- Satiety and Sustained Energy:
- The combination of healthy fats from avocado and protein from Greek yogurt used in the smoothie, helps keep you feeling full, providing sustained energy throughout the afternoon.
- Nutrient-Rich Meal Replacement:
- Packed with vitamins (A, C), minerals (iron, calcium, potassium), and fiber, it serves as a nutrient-dense lunch option, supporting overall well-being.
- Weight Management:
- The fiber content, especially from the oats and berries, in the smoothie promotes a feeling of fullness, aiding in weight loss by reducing the likelihood of overeating later in the day.
- Balanced Macronutrients:
- A good balance of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins contributes to a well-rounded meal, helping maintain blood sugar levels and preventing energy crashes.
- Gut Health:
- The Greek yogurt provides probiotics, supporting a healthy gut flora, which is essential for digestion and overall digestive well-being.
- Convenient and Quick:
- Ideal for busy lunchtimes, this smoothie is quick to prepare and consume, making it a convenient and nutritious option for those on the go.
- The base of low-fat milk helps keep you hydrated, an essential aspect of overall health and well-being, especially during the midday hours.
- Versatile and Tasty:
- The blend of avocado, berries, spinach, and yogurt creates a flavorful and satisfying combination, making lunch enjoyable while ensuring a variety of essential nutrients.
How Does The Lunch Smoothie Taste?
It might be strange for you to be drinking a smoothie for lunch. So the taste has to be perfect.
This smoothie is creamy and a bit thick, with a touch of sweetness from the berries. It’s not too sweet, and there’s a hint of freshness from the spinach.
The overall taste is mild, with a slight tanginess. It feels wholesome and has a satisfying texture, not too heavy or too light.
Smoothie Variations, Ingredient Swaps, And Additional Ingredient Add-ins:
One of the best things about this smoothie is how easily it can be customized.
You can turn meal replacement smoothies into absolute delights. Customizing them allows you to incorporate some of your favorite flavors and ingredients.
Here are some ideas for you:
- Swap the spinach for other green leave. Kale and swiss chard are both excellent and nutritious choices.
- Not a fan of berries? Swap them for mango or pineapple.
- Don’t like oats or cannot digest them well? Swap them for chia seeds!
- Swap the dairy milk for a dairy-free alternative. I recommend almond milk.
- Add a scoop of protein powder to boost the protein content and the satiety effect of this lunch shake.
- Like your smoothies sweeter? Add a tablespoon of honey, maple, or agave syrup.
- For a creamier nutty smoothie, add a tablespoon of almond butter.
Make a Creamy Lunch Smoothie Bowl!
Serving this smoothie in a bowl might make it look like a proper lunch.
If you are not trying to lose weight, then you can load it with plenty of toppings. The additional toppings will obviously add extra calories.
If you follow the recipe as instructed, the result should be a pretty thick smoothie, thick enough to serve it as a smoothie bowl.
4 Popular Questions Asked From The Community And Their Answers
The community asked me some questions on my Instagram, which I thought are useful for any future readers.
I will leave the answers to the most common questions below:
Will Having a Smoothie For Lunch Help Me Lose Weight?
It will really depend on the number of calories the smoothie contains, and how many calories you end up consuming overall for the whole day. Weight loss occurs only due to a calorie deficit. However, some smoothies can be quite low on calories, and quite filling, which can bring the total amount of calories consumed for the day within a calorie deficit. The lunch smoothie recipe I have for you today can aid weight loss, due to being low in calories, but very filling.
Is It Healthy To Have a Smoothie For Lunch Every Day?
If the smoothies are done well enough, then yes. If you are getting the needed nutrients from the smoothie, then absolutely you can have a smoothie for lunch every day. You would typically need protein, carbs, and a bit of fat for a healthy sustainable smoothie for lunch. However, you can also have smoothies alongside your meal too.
What Smoothies Go With Lunch?
If you want to have a smoothie to go with your lunch, then I would recommend drinking a smoothie that balances what’s missing from your main lunch. For example, if you have a big salad for lunch, then a protein smoothie would be recommended. If however, you have protein, but little greens, then a green smoothie would be recommended.
Can I Meal Pre This Lunch Smoothie The Night Before?
Yes, the smoothie can be prepared in advance the night before, ready for the next day. However, since the smoothie contains frozen fruit, the texture and taste might be slightly different once it's consumed the next day.