If you don’t have a blender at home and you are wondering how to make a smoothie without a blender, I am here to tell you that there are many ways you can make a smoothie without one!
But how do you blend without a blender? It’s simple, you simply have to select your ingredients carefully.
When I used to make smoothies back in the day when I couldn’t afford a blender, I used to choose soft ingredients, that do not require processing.
The Best Ingredients To Use To Make a Smoothie Without Blender
Making the perfect smoothie with no blender comes down to the ingredients entirely.
Here’s a list of the best ingredients to use if you don’t have a blender at home:
- Boiled / Steamed Sweet Potatoes
- Smooth Nut Butters
- All Liquids (milk, fruit juice, water, etc)
- Cream Cheese
- Cottage Cheese
- Apple Sauce
- Liquid Sweeteners (Honey, maple syrup, agave, etc)
- Defrosted Berries
If you do have a hand mixer in the kitchen though, you could use ingredients that require more power to be processed.
However, the list above are ingredients that are perfect to just mix together and make a delicious smoothie!
Equipment To Make a Smoothie Without a Blender
When I make my own smoothies without a blender, I use minimal equipment.
But I will leave a list below, for all types of kitchen utensils and equipment that you could use:
Do note that you won’t need all of these kitchen utensils. It really depends what you have at home, and what you want to use.
I personally only used a measuring jug, a whish and a smoothie serving glass, that was it.
How to Make a Smoothie Without a Blender
All you need is 5 simple ingredients to make this banana smoothie without a blender!
- Peanut Butter
- Oat Milk
As you can see based on the ingredients, they are all soft, easy to process ingredients.
They require no electric power, such as from a blender to break through and mix.
Here’s the method of making a smoothie without a blender:
- Mash the banana finely using a fork or a masher.
- Mix all the ingredients in a deep bowl or a measuring jug. I used a whisk to do that.
- Serve the smoothie and enjoy!
Recipe Variations & Substitutions
The ingredients I used to make this drink essentially made a very classic smoothie recipe – banana and peanut butter smoothie.
However, if you want to make something different, even without a blender, here are some options:
- Instead of banana, you can use boiled or steamed sweet potato. You can also use mashed up thawed frozen berries.
- If you are vegan, substitute the honey for maple syrup, and the dairy yogurt for a vegan alternative.
- If you dislike peanut butter, you can use cashew or almond butter instead.
- The oat milk can be replaced for any other milk of choice.
Smoothie Recipe Without a Blender
- 1 Whisk
- 1 measuring jug
- 1 smoothie serving glass
- 1/2 cup/ 120g Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter unsweetened
- 1 scoop protein powder unsweetened and unflavored
- 1 cup oat milk unsweetened
- 1/2 ripe medium-sized banana
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Mash the banana as finely as you can using a fork or a masher.
- Combine all the ingredients in a measuring jug or a deep bowl.
- Whisk the ingredients for 3-4 minutes, until everything is nicely incorporated.
- Serve and enjoy!