Indulge in gut-friendly kefir smoothies for weight loss. A delightful blend of kefir, berries and seeds.
For the benefits of the smoothie and recipe tips, please scroll past the recipe if you want to learn more!Print
- 1 cup/245g unsweetened kefir
- 1 cup/150g of mixed frozen berries (strawberries and blueberries)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup of ice
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blitz until smooth. For about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Best consumed straight away, however, you can take it with you on the go too.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Category: Smoothie
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 21.4
- Fat: 7.9
- Carbohydrates: 44
- Fiber: 13.2
- Protein: 16.4
Keywords: breakfast smoothie, gut healthy smoothie, kefir smoothie recipe, kefir smoothies, smoothies with kefir, weight loss kefir smoothie, weight loss smoothie recipes
Kefir Smoothie Benefits
More benefits of this weight loss kefir smoothie include:
- Probiotic Boost: Kefir is a fermented dairy product that contains probiotics, which can promote a healthy balance of gut bacteria. A well-balanced gut microbiome is linked to various aspects of health, including metabolism.
- Rich in Antioxidants: Berries are used in this kefir smoothie. Berries, especially strawberries and blueberries, are rich in antioxidants that help combat oxidative stress in the body.
- High in Fiber: The chia seeds used in the drink are an excellent source of soluble fiber. Fiber can help promote a feeling of fullness, potentially reducing overall calorie intake and supporting weight loss efforts.
- Low-Calorie Option: This smoothie is relatively low in calories, making it a suitable option for those aiming to lose weight.
- Nutrient Density: The combination of ingredients provides a variety of vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients. Nutrient-dense foods can contribute to overall well-being, and maintaining good nutrition is essential for sustainable weight loss.
Variations, Ingredient Substitutions, And Optional Add-ins
You can make changes the recipe and it can still remain weight-loss friendly, however, only follow the optional changes I have left below:
- Swap the berries for pineapple, mango, or bananas. For thicker and a more refreshing tasting smoothie, make sure you use frozen fruit.
- Swap the chia seeds for other seeds (flax, sunflower seeds) or use nut butter instead. A tablespoon is plenty.
- To make the smoothie even more filling, add a small scoop of protein powder. Preferably use unsweetened and unflavored.
- Add a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup for a sweeter smoothie.
Make it a Smoothie Bowl!
Once the smoothie is blended, it comes out quite thick, making it suitable for a smoothie bowl.
If you fancy a smoothie bowl, topped with your favorite toppings, simply pour the blended smoothie onto your favorite bowl, and enjoy!
Storing The Smoothie
The smoothie contains frozen fruit, which means it won’t store in the fridge well. Once it’s blended, it’s best consumed within an hour.
However, the smoothie freezes very well.
Prepare the smoothie according to the given instructions, then evenly distribute it into an ice cube tray and place it in the freezer.
Once the cubes are fully frozen, remove them from the tray and transfer them into a freezer bag. Don’t forget to label and date the bag for easy identification.
Popular Questions And Answers From The Community
I have shortlisted some of the most popular questions the smoothie community asked me on my YouTube channel.
I hope you find them helpful!
When Is The Best Time To Drink Kefir Smoothie For Weight Loss?
The best time to drink kefir smoothies for weight loss is for breakfast, as a meal replacement. Instead of your usual breakfast, drink 1 serving of this kefir smoothie. It will nourish you, and keep you feeling full until lunch-time!
How Many Kefir Smoothies Should I Drink Per Day To Lose Weight?
One kefir smoothie a day is more than enough. One of the most important things you need to keep in mind, is to cut down on your overall calories consumed for the day. Be mindful of how much you snack, and make sure you are as active physically as you can.
Does The Kefir Smoothie Taste Sour?
Since kefir is a fermented food, it does taste sour. However, the smoothie itself isn't overpowered by sourness. Yes, you can definitely taste a background sourness, but it's not overpowering. To cut through the sourness even more, consider adding 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup.
Can I Make Kefir Smoothies The Night Before?
Since the recipe uses frozen fruit, it is not recommended that you blend it the night before and drink it, because the taste and texture will be impacted as the fruit in the smoothie thaws. However, you can use fresh fruit instead of frozen, and this will allow you to prep it the night before, and grab it on the go ready to drink the next day.
More Kefir Smoothies You May Like:
In case you need some more kefir smoothie ideas, here are some more recipes you can try: